Happy New Year and the Whole 30 Challenge


Well, hello there, 2013! It has been a looooong time since I put anything up on this here blog, and what better excuse to start back up something you've been missing than the turn of the year?  So, hello there, welcome back, good to see you!

As you may or may not have seen on Twitter, D and I started the Whole30 today!  Some others are joining us throughout the next week, Demanda and Jaymes, Lindsay Rae, Myg, and blue_darcy are all on board, there might be some others I've forgotten or don't know about.  Basically the Whole30 is like Paleo eXtreme - you eat mostly meats, veggies, fruits, and some good fats and nuts... only things Paleolithic Man would have been able to eat, with a heavy emphasis on organic items.  I'm doing it to figure out what food allergies I have once and for all, while D is doing it because he's a type 1 diabetic and is looking to gain control over his blood sugar levels.  We're also both looking to drop some weight and be overall healthier... and I need to kick my carb addiction.  So, here we go!


I thought I would try to use the blog as a good place to post recipes and foods, and as an added level of accountability (I tend to need a lot of that to stick with things).  Today is Day 1, and we've done pretty well! Fruit and eggs with turkey for breakfast, leftover chicken stew (with all approved ingredients) for lunch, and for dinner I made ground turkey wraps - using Romaine leaves as the wraps.  I had homemade guacamole leftover from yesterday (avocados, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, and salt), all-natural salsa, ground turkey, homemade taco seasoning, and the lettuce leaves (organic, of course).  We ate them like tacos, and they were delicious!  There's also enough left to make a sort of taco salad for tomorrow's lunch, which sets us up for success for Day 2.  Hooray!

I intend to post some pictures and recipes going forward, but I'm tried today and bummed about having to go back to work tomorrow (I had 11 days off over the holidays), so it won't happen today.  But look forward to D's baba ganoush recipe, how to make ghee, and other fun stuff in the next 30 days!  And I hope you all had a happy new year! Any resolutions?

2 comments:

Jaymes805 said...

I'm so excited about this!! I'm totally making the tacos next week. My plan is to start on Sunday since I am going out of town Thurs-Sat for a work event and we have various dinner/lunch events that won't allow for the whole 30. Which means when I end it, it will be on my 31st birthday and I'll go into that year feeling great. Win/Win. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, good on you, guys! I had seen you tweeting and was curious, and while this isn't for me at the moment, I don't rule out doing it one day.

You guys have also inspired me to get around to posting more about my weight loss challenge, which you can now find on my TwiKiwi blog.

Good luck, I'll be following with interest!

Post a Comment