Attack of the Homophone

You all know I’m a fan fiction addict, I don’t hide this fact. What you might not know is that I’m somewhat of a grammar and spelling nazi – I often forgo proper grammar on the blog, in tweets and comments, and sometimes even in e-mails and texts in order to preserve a more natural “voice,” because I write the way I speak and I do not always speak correctly; so much is contextual and appropriate in terms of colloquialisms and whatnot. However, I hold writing – like, “real” writing, as in books and fan fiction – to a higher standard, insofar as I expect grammar, spelling, and word usage to be proper. As a result, I am being driven crazy by misused homophones.

My readers are all intelligent and many of you are writers yourselves, so I’m sure you all know what constitutes a homophone, but just in case I have any lurkers who don’t: homophones are words that sound the same and have different meanings and are spelled differently. Your spell-check won’t catch these if you get them mixed up, because the word that sounds like the one you actually mean to use is a real word – spell-check fails to take into account the context of your usage.


The top five that make me insane when I’m reading my stories (feel free to send a link of this post to any authors you find making these mistakes):

Pour/pore – the misuse: “He poured over the book.” You really shouldn’t do that to a book, it will ruin the pages. Pour: to send (a liquid, fluid, or anything in loose particles) flowing or falling, as from one container to another, or into, over, or on something (from dictionary.com) / Pore: to study intently.

Taught/taut – the misuse: “The skin on Edward’s knuckles was taught.” What was it taught? French, I hope. Taught: the past tense of “to teach” / Taut: stretched tightly.

Bear/bare – the misuse: “I would bare the pain.” “I couldn’t bare it.” Gee, that’s going to make hot sex with Edward pretty tough. Bear (verb): to shoulder or otherwise assume the weight of something / Bare: nekkid.
Peek/peak/pique – so many misuses: “He brought me to my peek again and again.” “My curiosity was peeked.” “My curiosity was peaked.” “His erection peaked out from under the sheets.” Gosh, that’s too bad – but don’t worry, Edward, it happens to every guy from time to time. Peek: a quick or secret look / Peak: the summit / Pique: to arouse an emotion or action.

Right/rite (also wright and write, but those are not as misused) – the misuse: “It was a right of passage.” No, it wasn’t. Right: correct, or a law-given allowance / Rite: a ritual or ceremony.



I feel so much better just getting these off my chest. Recently, I was reading a story where muscles and skin and jaws were being “taught” all over the place. Then, out of nowhere, the author used “taut,” correctly, and I rejoiced! Soon after, she was back to “taught,” and I was losing my mind again.
Is this a pet peeve of yours? Have you noticed any that haven’t made my top five offenders?
Bear them awl inn the comments and I will pour over them later…

12 comments:

edwardsisobel said...

MB. I agree, it completely drives me crazy when I am really into a good story and I see mistakes.. The one I see the most is your/you're and it completely bugs the shit out of me!

TongueTwied said...

there/their/they're

Unfortunately I end up spotting the errors when I read too but I'm also super guilty of making the mistakes. (I just had to go back and correct "too" from "to.")

I was pretty surprised to find mistakes in the Twilight books along the way.

the peak/peek/pique examples are hysterical!

mmMoxie said...

I don't know what you're problem is. Their is nothing wrong with there righting. You wood probably make mistakes to if you bearly payed attention to what you rote.

Nessa Lomiva said...

As someone whose first language isn't English, I pay extra special attention to grammar and spelling. It drives me insane when people, especially fan fic authors misspell.

Another example that drives me insane in addition to the ones mentioned by others:

who's/whose

I'm sure there are countless others, I just can't think of them right now. It really does ruin the whole feel, and sometimes, I do get confused, and then I start wondering whether I'm the one mistaken. Such is the case with
"I should have" and "I should of"

WTH is up with that? Can you please explain, MB (somehow, I think you have the answer why this started happening, lol)? Why did people suddenly start using "of" instead of "have"? Is that acceptable now? I'm really confused.

Also, I'm irritated when people write "use to" instead of "used to".

Of course, occasional slips are okay, and I'm guilty of them myself, but to do it constantly is simply criminal, IMO.

Vintage Fangirl said...

MB - I know!!!! This problem is totally irritating! I have to go back and reread to double check the meaning.

I have this problem with spelling and homophones on Facebook too. I just want to take a friggin' red pen (I AM a teacher) and start grading posts! LOL Especially when it is someone that I went to school with....I want to comment "So, the Chicago Public Schools obviously failed you".

Great post MB!

Musing Bella said...

LMAO - thanks, ladies! I knew you'd understand. ;)

@Jelly - I canNOT explain "should of," except I'm sure it's the same problem: they hear the phrase and instead of trying to work it out in context, they repeat or write what they think they heard. I hate that one, too. And your/you're and they're/their/there and who's/whose... every example given drives me NUTS. TH thinks I should be a beta, LOL.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in my ire!! Happy reading!

Black Box said...

I like this post because it's humorous, entertaining, and educational. I learned something.

I don't have a pet peeve with spelling and grammatical mistakes because I am a big offender of these mistakes, so it would make me a hypocrit. But when there is a large amount of mistakes it can get a little annoying.

One of my FF pet peeves though is when Bella has too much inner monolouge. I'm just like, shut up already, damn.

Jayla said...

Along the same vein/vain (LOL)

What about words that are spelled the same and pronounced differently?
Record: I bought a record/I want to record the show. (yea, dating myself)
Read: I read that already/I want to read that story

Or how about words that are spelled differently AND pronounced differently but people insist on not differentiating between them when speaking…
Marry/Merry/Mary
Don/Dawn
Pen/Pin (big one here, people actually say ‘ink pin’.. so you know which pen they want (groan)

Linda Blanchard said...

Oh, dear God, THANK YOU! It drives me barking mad. I read a story recently in which the author consistently used "shuttered" instead of "shuddered." And she used the word a lot. The examples are legion.

@Jelena - the "should of" and "use to" examples blow my mind. If the writer were to. . . oh, I don't know. . . think about the actual "meaning" (please read air-quotes here) of "words," rather than just going with phonetics, that might help.

@Living with Edward - OMG, THANK you. Bella's inner monologue is really getting out of control. I've actually read lemons in which there was so much inner monologue that I kept forgetting what was going on. A character would say something, [paragraph of inner monologue] then do something lemony [paragraph of inner monologue], and then the other character would say something in response, and I'd have to scroll up to remember the first remark. Seriously, this happened frequently.

Yikes! This post caught me with my bitch showing! :)

Black Box said...

@Cullenboyz: I hate paragraphs like that. I forget which fics they were, but it took like a whole chapter to get through this tiny convo because of all the innter monolaugue in it. So I unfavorited. If the author can't get on with the story than neither can I! LOL

Dangrdafne said...

I am only going to point out that I adore that picture of the bear hands LOL!!! Soooooo cute and soooooo funny. Great post!

Nessa Lomiva said...

Thank you for explaining that ladies. I was starting to think that I was in the wrong, and that English language has evolved since I left Canada.

There was another example I thought of today, but now I don't remember what it was anymore.

Post a Comment