So, today, as on most days, I was taking my afternoon break in the break room at work, reading my nook.
Note: mine did not have MC Escher on it.I had just gotten to a really good part in my latest fan fiction (written by @LauraLoo77, one of my Twitter pals, who writes excellent fic!! Check her out on ff.net by clicking here) - you know the part: where Edward and Bella are finally getting their groove thang on. Suddenly, our Director of IT was right there, asking about my nook and could she look at it, she has a kindle, and how do I like the nook?
Like an idiot, I just handed it to her.

Suddenly, I realized my error. I was pretty sure Edward's arousal was rubbing up against Bella's something or other, so I quickly punched the top button and the "back" part of the touch screen and showed her the main screen. She made no mention of porn, so I have no idea if she registered what she was looking at when I first gave her the thing, or what she made of my quick navigation to the main screen, and we just continued our inane e-book discussion as we left the break room.
I read porn in the break room.
Since the Director of IT is close friends with the CFO (my direct supervisor), I can only hope she doesn't mention anything she might have seen on the screen. Not that it's anyone's business what I read on my breaks, I just don't want to have that conversation.
"So, what are you reading on that thing? You know illicit materials aren't allowed in the office..."
But I need my fan fic escapes from work! I need them!
Like an idiot, I just handed it to her.
Suddenly, I realized my error. I was pretty sure Edward's arousal was rubbing up against Bella's something or other, so I quickly punched the top button and the "back" part of the touch screen and showed her the main screen. She made no mention of porn, so I have no idea if she registered what she was looking at when I first gave her the thing, or what she made of my quick navigation to the main screen, and we just continued our inane e-book discussion as we left the break room.
I read porn in the break room.Since the Director of IT is close friends with the CFO (my direct supervisor), I can only hope she doesn't mention anything she might have seen on the screen. Not that it's anyone's business what I read on my breaks, I just don't want to have that conversation.
"So, what are you reading on that thing? You know illicit materials aren't allowed in the office..."
But I need my fan fic escapes from work! I need them!









14 comments:
Oh my god, that would be so humiliating.
You are right about the google image search though. Twi pics come up for everything. I'm trying to think of what I was googling and there was a Twi pic....thinking.....I remember laughing when I saw it.....still thinking and trying to remember......Oh yeah! pretty fingernail designs. All these pretty nails and then Twilight. It made no sense.
LMAO, that sounds like something I would totally do! Hopefully she didn't notice or doesn't say anything.
Besides, can they really say what you can/can't read on your own personal device??
Oh geez! I laughed out loud so hard at this! So you were caught with Edward's pants down!!!! LMAO!
I googled a person in government one day and was surprised that a picture of Rob came up. wtf, right?
Don't sell the IT lady short. She might end up asking you on the sly for the name of the 'book' you were reading. lol
You know UofEM has been turned into a book, right? I'm going to buy it for a few friends and will be interested in their take on it as nonB/E characters.
I googled "titanic screen shots" and got twilight pics. So crazy....
Always lie if ever confonted. Say, "it was a Twilight fanfiction! How was I supposed to know there would be sex? It's a Mormon book for crying out loud!"
Mrs. P's advice is perfect as always!!
At least the Director is a she - my boss is not a she and I would be horrified if he saw what I read sometimes at work. Oh my!
Oh man....I want a Nook really really bad so I can read my ff on it!!!! I read usually on my iPhone because it is small and I have less of chance of someone looking over my shoulder and reading when I'm at a good lemony part! I could totally see this happening to me though but I'm hiding in the bathroom at work reading it! LOL!
The IT person probably wasn't paying attention to what your were reading anyway, so you should be safe. :) Carry on.....
Well fudge! I bought my Kindle because I was embarrassed by the covers of the trashy romance novels I used to carry around with me! And I was embarrassed about carrying around the Twilight books as I read each of them ten times.
If anyone asks to see my Kindle, I'll be sure to accidentally hit that OFF button before it leaves my hands. That puppy is password protected, so no one can get into my porn stash!
Although I guess I should probably download some real books on there in case someone wants to see how it works. The only thing I have on it that isn't fanfiction is Dante's Inferno! I downloaded it while I was reading The University of Edward Masen, but I don't think any of my friends would ever believe Dante is what I'm reading every day!
I didn't know you could read fanfic on a Nook!! My husband wanted to get me a Kindle for Christmas and I discouraged him. Silly me.
For the record, when I really want to read fanfic on break, I go to my car. Too many interuptions in the breakroom.
@TM - yeah! I don't know about the kindle, but I imagine it's the same thing. I downloaded Calibre onto my laptop, and I go to http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com/ to download fanfic to epub format, then I save it into calibre, and that loads it onto my nook. It's actually why I chose the nook over the kindle, because the nook is non-proprietary; I think the kindle can only download stuff from Amazon (but I might be wrong). Anyway, I take the bus to work, so I have nowhere to hide with my fanfic. :(
@TRM - LOL - I'm glad my mistake can be a warning for you!!
@UAB - I used to read on my iTouch, and I agree - it's way easier to read saucy stuff and not worry about people reading over your shoulder on that tiny screen. And it's MUCH easier to sneak your ipod into the ladies room (which I used to do, too)!
@DD - true, it would have been worse with our old IT director (guy). Yikes!
@MrsP - you are right, as usual. I'm coming to you whenever I need excuses.
@TT - I didn't know that! That's awesome! Umm... I'm actually not sure I finished that FF. I need to go check.
@Smitten - no, I don't think they can, but I still don't want them to know!! LOL
@LwE - too funny! Fingernail designs? I can't remember what strange thing I was looking up when Rob's face greeted me out of nowhere. I'm wondering now if google has "cookie"d my computer and now they jut know that Twilight is always what I want to see. LOL
LMAO! That is sooo funny. I'd be super embarrassed too, but would probably totally put my foot in my mouth!
xo J
Oops! My heart would have been racing big time. I do love my BlackBerry for reading ff at work or in the car when my husband is driving. It doesn't look suspect at all..
So when you turn the file into an epub, does is basically act like an Acrobat pdf file? Meaning that it's just for reading and you cannot review chapters as you read, correct?
Ugh! I feel your pain. I don't run into this too much because I work from home. But about six months ago I was down at my client's for my monthly file review presentation. She was running late so I was sitting in her office waiting room reading smut on my Kindle and she walked in and started asking about it. I had jumped to the home title page...the titles weren't too bad but the author names show up too... OMH -- not good. I always keep on "real" book on there for this situation and jumped into that book and started navagating around like nobody's business. I have made smut ninja skills LOL!!
Update: I just googled "open mouth chewing" and "whaambulance" for a post on the new blog. The firt gave me a pic that Lisa used to use as her avi - Rob inserting vampire teeth and laughing. The second? A pretty pic of Jacksper. I have no idea what he has to do with the whaambulance, but he was nice to look at. :)
That's too funny, Erin. I swear that Rob is everywhere. And that picture is still my Blogger avi and blog button :) I just like to mix it up on Twitter.
Post a Comment