Hellooooo, there kittens!
Note: I have big Twilight-themed plans for some of these Thursday posts, but this week is not the week for that.
As you know, last weekend TH and I went wine-tasting (again), this time just out to Forest Grove, OR, and surrounding areas. The wineries out that way were hosting the North Willamette Wine Trail Weekend (pronounce that second word "will-AM-ett" or you will be mercilessly mocked by locals, myself included), so we joined up with the Fashions (Mrs Fashion is the one coming with me to FFFFFFOOOOOORRRRRRRKKKKKKSSSSSS), and hit the wine trail. We checked out about six wineries, none of which TH and I had been to previously, and we were pleasantly surprised by a couple, but didn't buy anything (mostly because we splurged so much up in Washington a few weeks ago; check that out here if you missed it). My biggest find of the day was actually a little vinocultural education.
I have discovered a new kind of wine!
OK, well, I didn't actually discover it. Obviously, the winemakers had it in bottles, so they knew about it before I did. But it's new to me, and maybe to you, as well.
I am a bigger fan of white wine than I am of red (although if you bring it, I will drink it). So I am well-versed in which ones I like. I favor Riesling, Pinot Gris, and occasionally a dessert wine like Gewurztraminer. I don't usually like Chardonnay, as it's not usually sweet or crisp enough for me. It does depend what I'm eating (if anything). But never before had I tried Pinot Blanc.
Wait, Blanc? Like Sauvignon Blanc? And how is this different than Pinot Gris? Well, I asked the winemakers (who, interestingly, each had different answers)... and then off to wikipedia I went. The difference, of course, is the grapes.
Both are descended from Pinot Noir grapes, both are genetic mutations from the original. The information seems to be a bit fuzzy after that (probably why the winemakers were also confused), but near as I can tell, Pinot Gris is the first mutation and Pinot Blanc is further mutated.
Doesn't the word "mutated" make you want some delicious wine? :D
At any rate, I wanted to share this new find with you all. I found the Pinot Blanc to be sweeter and fuller than the Pinot Gris generally is (although I have found a great deal of range in the flavors and characteristics of Pinot Gris in my experiences, so maybe its just an unreliable varietal). The two wineries where I tried some were: Adea and Apolloni. I think I liked Apolloni's better, but it was hard to be sure, since it was the second-to-last winery we visited, and Adea had been the first. Both had delicious Pinots across the board, though. So, two new wineries for you to check out, if that's your thing. We all know it's mine!
That's it for this week, have to prepare for more drinking (i.e. we're having dinner with my parents this weekend). I'll try to have a Twi-Thirsty Thursday next week. Big plans, I tell you!
What's your favorite white wine?
A man who was fond of wine was offered some grapes at dessert after dinner. "Much obliged," said he, pushing the plate aside, "I am not accustomed to take my wine in pills." ~Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Happy Birthday Mom- from Baby Pantry
1 year ago


4 comments:
You know what always ends up happening when I read these posts? I want a glass of wine AND I want to go on a wine tasting trip! LOL!
I will try any wine! But what happens is the next day I think wow I really liked that wine but can never remember what kind it was! err...wonder why?
For sipping I prefer something with a hint of fruit to it.
No wine here. But I wanted to let you know that the Twitter thing didn't happen to me today on your blog :)
i was so looking for something to do this weekend - thanks for a great idea.
um, anything from new zealand :-) (seriously ya can't go wrong with anything from there)
although i love reds, i find them to be a bit much in the warmer months (love rose's for summer- crisp & fruity)
but you asked about white...
sauvignon blanc is my fave white. i guess a dry german riesling is next.
Hmmm wine....no stop! it's only 11.30am here...but it's drinking time somewhere in the world right??? I am having a crappy day so a nice glass or ten would go down really well.
My favourite white at the moment is a Moscato which is sort of half way between a fruity white and a champagne. Nice and refreshing.
@Jayla - I have been drinking a few NZ wines lately - being so close here in Australia we get quite a few. One of my tax clients brought me a few bottles back from the Marlborough region - the winery is called Toi Toi and their Sauvignon Blanc is to die for - YUM.
Post a Comment