TH and I are watching the Oscars, and having a little feast. We like to have themed feasts for special occasions. Tonight's theme, I think, was overabundance, because I let TH go to the store alone and he bought too much food for two people. So, the Oscars. Poor KStew. She looked terrified and awkward as usual (although she cleans up nice, no?), and then she had to cough. My heart goes out to her at these events, because they are not her forte.
And now Keanu is presenting. Speaking of things not being someone's forte... speaking is not his.
Of the nominated films, I've actually seen a good portion this year: Star Trek, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Up, Up in the Air, Julie & Julia, District 9, and TH told me I wouldn't like Avatar, but he saw it. The Hurt Locker was fucking amazing and heartbreaking and gut-wrenching. Up was much the same, but also hilarious and heart-warming. Up in the Air was fantastic, and after that movie and New Moon, I have a great deal of respect for Anna Kendrick (did you know she was nominated for a Tony in 1998??). Inglorious Basterds was classic Tarantino (I LOVE Tarantino), in that it was disturbing and bloody and thought-provoking and somehow hilarious all at once. Julie & Julia was only half interesting (and I like Amy Adams, her character was just lame and kind of an unsympathetic bitch), but Meryl Streep was great. District 9 was crazy weird but fascinating. Star Trek was pure awesome put on screen.
Ultimately, I'm firmly in the "The Hurt Locker should win" camp for director and picture.
Rent it. It's amazing.Honestly, though, I was upset that Where the Wild Things Are wasn't nominated at all. That was the best movie, hands down, that I saw last year. And it at least should have gotten nominated for costumes or art direction or something.
Anyway, now is the part of the evening when the big awards get given out, so I'll leave you with some photos of folks we love... good luck and congratulations to everyone!
KStew looks beautiful. I thought this dress was black, but here it looks dark blue... and she's almost smiling!
Anna Kendrick looks gorgeous and was clever enough to hide her freakish hairline. (Am I the only one who noticed that in Up in the Air?)



2 comments:
Sadly, I didn't watch the Oscars, because well, they start at 2AM my time.
But I did see the red carpet photos. Charlize's dress is an epic fail.
I thought KStew looked really sweet. I like the fact that she stays true to herself.
Anna Kendrick looked spectacular. Now, what freakish hairline are you talking about?
As for the movies themselves, I only saw Avatar and Julie&Julia, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. 3D is the new future of cinema. J&J hit so close to home that it was impossible not to love it. I thought Amy's character was great.
Also, I don't plan on watching The Hurt Locker. I'm kinda sick of war movies, no matter how thought provoking they might be. Usually the Oscars get it wrong anyway, except last year.
Hey Jelena! Thanks for following me over to Blogger!
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I won't harass you about watching The Hurt Locker or any other war movie, if you don't bug me about watching Avatar, which I have no intention of ever doing. :-) Deal?
I made a post just about Anna's hairline for you. I liked how she had her hair last night - she looked amazing.
Post a Comment