Keep in mind, I've only seen the movie once (so far) - Starlit Violets and I have a date this weekend to meet and see it again - but I think I paid enough attention (between sips of my cocktail) to be able to tell you what I thought. Honestly, I thought it was the best one so far. I felt like they kept the most important plot points, even if they did mess some things WAY up getting there (again, Bella gets on Jake's motorcycle right in front of Edward? So never happening). So let's discuss the high and low points.I always like to start with the bad news first.
I missed the kidnapping part. You know, how Alice kidnaps Bella and she leaves the threatening voicemail for Edward, and THEN they make out and [cue the leg hitch] everything. I like that part and all the dialogue in there. I also like that this is when Rosalie tells her part of the story. It just seems better that way - Bella wouldn't ever follow Rose out onto the deck; she thinks Rose doesn't like her.
Jacob is a shrimp. The end. CGI that bastard.
I laughed out loud at both of these scenes:
There were two scenes like that - where the non-Edwardy Cullens stood in formation in coordinated outfits, and I burst out laughing both times. Hokey. Srsly. Maybe if they hadn't been so still and the shots so long, it would have been better - I get that they're vampires and can stand very still, but they looked like little action figure versions of themselves. It was just goofy.Speaking of which, WTF is up with Esme's hair? Anyone? Why is it so much darker? Can anyone explain this??? It's baffling to me.
Alice. Poor, poor Alice. Look at your clothes in that picture up there. *sigh*
I was with my friend Mrs Fashion, and during this scene:
she leaned over to me and asked, "Isn't it kind of sunny out?" It did look awfully bright... just sayin'.I'm undecided as to how I felt about Bella's final speech. I understand that it's kind of necessary because you get all that from her internal monologue in the books, more or less, without her saying it outright ever, but it seemed overwritten and overwrought. I also would have rather Edward flipped her over and tried to have sex with her right there, like in the book. Because: YUM.
This leads me to the good news.
The meadow scenes were HAWT.
This was also the very first time (I kid you not) I noticed Edward's Culleny cuff, ... which he has apparently been wearing since Day One (see Exhibit A).
Exhibit A: Day OneAlso: most of the Edward/Bella scenes were great. They got their groove back, and I was SOOO HAPPY that they were laughing and smiling and joking - my very favorite parts of their relationship were finally included in the movies! Hallelujah!
Not a funny scene, but sweet and lovely...I loved Jessica's graduation speech and the grad party (which looked like a real party, and I always had trouble picturing the one in the book).
I LOVED sarcastic Charlie. "There's a companion ticket? Super."
I love the quilt Renee gave Bella - whoever's idea that was, be warned: I'm stealing it. That would be an amazing gift. Loved that.
I loved the sex talk scene between Bella and Charlie - spot on, Rosenberg & co.
All of the battles were well done, I thought - as well done as ever, at least. I liked that Esme took some of Carlisle's lines about Bree.
Best line of the movie? Bella to Edward: "I want to tie you to me in every human way possible." Um, yeah she does. Go Bella!
The only thing I truly missed?
Bryce Dallas Howard was fine. But Rachelle LeFevre just brought such a great quality to this role, and I want to stomp my little foot that they replaced her. This is Victoria's book! Her biggest moment! What a fucking rip off. Bryce came through, but I feel it would have been better with Rachelle.
I loved when Bella punched Jake in the face, and Emmett's reaction to that news.
I thought the flashbacks were well done. Rosalie should have also taken down her hairdresser, though, when she was on her murderous rampage. OME - that reminds me: bridal vengeance Rosalie, can I get that version of an action figure?
My favorite parts: the opening meadow scene, Riley's murder, the graduation, and the proposal scene.
So, there you have it. You know what I've decided, though? I need to look at the movies as a form of fan fiction. I love Twilight fan fiction, I don't mind when the story deviates (or is AH or AU or whatever), and if I think of the movies that way, perhaps I can let go of my need for the books to be translated perfectly onto celluloid (which, let's face it, is never going to happen). So, I'm giving that a try.
Alright, what did YOU think? Lay it on me in the comments!
I LOVED sarcastic Charlie. "There's a companion ticket? Super."
I love the quilt Renee gave Bella - whoever's idea that was, be warned: I'm stealing it. That would be an amazing gift. Loved that.
I loved the sex talk scene between Bella and Charlie - spot on, Rosenberg & co.
All of the battles were well done, I thought - as well done as ever, at least. I liked that Esme took some of Carlisle's lines about Bree.
Best line of the movie? Bella to Edward: "I want to tie you to me in every human way possible." Um, yeah she does. Go Bella!
The only thing I truly missed?
Bryce Dallas Howard was fine. But Rachelle LeFevre just brought such a great quality to this role, and I want to stomp my little foot that they replaced her. This is Victoria's book! Her biggest moment! What a fucking rip off. Bryce came through, but I feel it would have been better with Rachelle.I loved when Bella punched Jake in the face, and Emmett's reaction to that news.
I thought the flashbacks were well done. Rosalie should have also taken down her hairdresser, though, when she was on her murderous rampage. OME - that reminds me: bridal vengeance Rosalie, can I get that version of an action figure?
My favorite parts: the opening meadow scene, Riley's murder, the graduation, and the proposal scene.
So, there you have it. You know what I've decided, though? I need to look at the movies as a form of fan fiction. I love Twilight fan fiction, I don't mind when the story deviates (or is AH or AU or whatever), and if I think of the movies that way, perhaps I can let go of my need for the books to be translated perfectly onto celluloid (which, let's face it, is never going to happen). So, I'm giving that a try.
Alright, what did YOU think? Lay it on me in the comments!




4 comments:
I know what you mean about trying to think of it as FF. I really think reading the books really ruins the movies. I was disappointed probably a bit too much with things that I really wanted to be in the movie. I so wanted Bella's threatening message to Edward and what he says to her about it later to be in there. that was one of my fave things. The movie also seemed to jerk forward pretty fast leaving me with a small feeling of whip lash. Even my sister in law who didn't read the book said that. But all in all, I did really enjoy it. It was very good. I have to see it again and again and again I think. Then I can give a better recap.
I loved the movie and I'm not gonna lie. I've only read the book once. (Yikes, did I just confess that?)
So, it always exceeds my expectations.
Now! I will agree with you a thousand percent on Victoria. Bryce's acting was fine, but her fucking just bugged. I'm sorry. What is wrong with her eyes? They gross me out. Also her neck seemed all wrinkly and old looking and her face was all photo shopped. Argh...
Agree about the Bryce vs. Rachelle. While I didn't dislike Bryce, the role was meant for Rachelle and I am sad she was not there.
While I was surprised to see the "kidnapping" scene was missing, logistically, it was unnecessary for the film. I love the way they did.
David Slade is amazing. He possesses such an incredible sensitivity. Who knew?
I only hated Bella's wig. Awful.
And I sooooo agree about Bryce vs. Rachelle. Victoria just wasn't the same without her. Summit definitely sucks.
I loved every Emmett scene, especially the one between Paul and him. Mmm. I can't wait to go see Eclipse again.
Say Hi to SV for me, btw.
Post a Comment